Sask. family goes public after son dies from choking game

By
November 4, 2011 - 11:27am Updated: November 4, 2011 - 1:23pm
Zachary Dawson and his brother Xander. Zachary died Oct. 14, 2011, after playing the choking game at his home. Courtesy Dawson family Zachary and Xander Dawson. Courtesy Dawson family Zachary Dawson, who died on Oct. 14, 2011, after playing the choking game. Courtesy Dawson family Dawn Dawson and her son Zachary. Courtesy Dawson family. Zachary, Kaitlyn and Xander Dawson in Disney World. Courtesy Dawson family. Zachary, Kaitlyn and Xander Dawson at the Calgary Zoo. Courtesy Dawson family. Zachary, Kaitlyn and Xander Dawson. Courtesy Dawson family. Zachary and Xander Dawson with their dad. Courtesy Dawson family. Zachary Dawson at school band.  He died on Oct. 14, 2011, after playing the choking game. Courtesy Dawson family Zachary Dawson, who died on Oct. 14, 2011, after playing the choking game. Courtesy Dawson family Zachary Dawson, who died on Oct. 14, 2011, after playing the choking game. Courtesy Dawson family Dawn Dawson and her son Zachary. Courtesy Dawson family. Zachary and his dad on Zachary's birthday. Courtesy Dawson family.
Zachary Dawson and his brother Xander. Zachary died Oct. 14, 2011, after playing the choking game at his home. Courtesy Dawson family
Previous 1 of 13 Next

A Saskatoon family is struggling to find a new normal after their 13-year-old son died last month.

And it all happened because of a tragic game.

Zachary Dawson’s family is going public with his story in hopes of preventing similar deaths in the future.

Dawn Dawson says her son died on Oct.14 after playing something called the choking game by himself at their home in Saskatoon.

“Cutting off oxygen to the brain to give yourself a light-headed feeling. Sometimes people pass out. Sometimes they don’t. He was unable to rescue himself,” she said.

Dawn admits it’s hard to talk about, which is one of the reasons why she had never heard about the game before, or thought to talk about it with her son.

“We honestly think he was doing something he didn’t think was wrong. That he didn’t realize how unsafe it was,” said Dawn.

Now she’s campaigning to have auto asphyxiation somehow incorporated into school curriculums.

She says the most important thing is to educate families about how dangerous this choking game truly is.

For more on the choking game, click HERE.

Edited by News Talk Radio’s Karin Yeske.

Topics: 

Join the Discussion

News Talk 650 CKOM is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.